IMO the 128megs of ram is *way* too little.

I'd at minimal go with 512megs.. but I'm still very new to this. =o\

Joshua

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2002 1:11 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [hlds_linux] LAN Party suggestions

My friend and I threw a lan party at Luther College this last spring.  We
had
a ton of problems.  So numerous, I'm not sure whether it was the network or
the server or both or something else.  I guess what I'm asking is this: how
should I configure so I know that any problems that come up aren't being
caused by the server?
(if you need any more info about the box, just ask)
PII 450mHz
128mb ram
4gb hd
barebones redhat 7.2
idealy I'd like to keep adminmod
I want to run a 32 player CS server. (at the schindig we had before it was a
different computer running hlds [it was generally better in all aspects, I
don't remember specifics] but we experienced catastrophic packet loss in the
16 - 21 player range)
the network was three 16 port linksys switches uplinked into a 5 port
linksys
switch that had this and another gameserver on it.  Everyone plugged into
the
16 port switches.
We'd play alright for a while (about 10 min) and then pings went into the
toilet (they averaged about 500ms at this point).  The server continued to
run
through this.
Oh yeah, it was CS 1.4

Anyway, what can I do to avoid these problems at the next party?  I'm not
really sure if it's realistic to go for the 32 players, so I'm anxious to
see
what you guys have to say.
Thanks!

-Nate