In my opinion if you want a server to hold more than 10-12 people get a fast cpu and
lots of RAM. I run a CS server on a dual PIII 800 with a gig of memory and it worked
great. I also run a Quake3 server on the same machine as well and it works great for
20 people ( 20 per server ).

If your machines specs arent up to par, you will start getting spikes and high choke.
If you really want a good dedicated server people come to cause of ping I would
suggest a good machine.

If you have the $ check these guys out. They make good rackmount systems and I plan on
purchasing one from them ( The dual Xeons ). http://www.pogolinux.com

dvNuLL

On (21/08/02 03:30), [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: RE: [hlds_linux] Minimum hardware to run well.
> Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 03:30:19 -0500
>
> In my previous post, I excluded the mobile versions, as it appeared the
> original poster was referring to a desktop system, not a laptop.  The
> "embedded" version is essentially the same part as the laptop version, but
> with features (or lack of features) for embedded realtime applications (i.e.
> set top box stuff).
>
> Again, the desktop K6-3 (AMD K6 model 9) was only made in 2 frequencies,
> 400Mhz and 450Mhz.
>
> Now, it's possible that some odd ball manufacturer produced a desktop mobo
> that utilized the laptop K6-3 mobile, but if so, I've never heard of such a
> thing.
>
> StanTheMan
> TheHardwareFreak
> http://www.hardwarefreak.com
> rcon admin at:
> Beer for Breakfast servers        <http://bfb.bogleg.org/>
>    209.41.98.2:27016 (CS multi-map)   209.41.98.2:27015 (DoD)
>    209.41.98.2:27017 (CS militia/dust2)            Dallas, TX

Pramod Venugopal
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.dvnull.org