> For instance, I have a 18 GB Cheetah 10k RPM drive that has bad
> magnetic media. It's been sitting on a friend's desk for two
> years now and he gave it to me. I checked with Seagate and it
> is STILL covered by warranty !
>
> Can you do that with an IDE ? I don't think so.

It's ignorance like that that really annoys me sometimes.  I can't even
believe you made that statement.  The hardware technology and warrenty
length are completely separate concepts.  "Can you do that an with IDE
?"  Hmm...lemme think.  Ah, ok, here's the answer: YES, if the
manufacturer warrants their products to be functional within the time
priod in which the product died.

Personal anecdote: I used to work as a field technician, going out to
residences and small businesses and fixing their computing problems of
all sorts.  One time this spring there was a lady who'd purchased an old
Dell P133 that had later been upgraded with a Western Digital 30GB
drive.  The drive had died, and they were asking me what they should do.
I recommended they put that system out to pasture and get a new system
to replace it, which they did.  They called me back to set it up for
them, and when I left they asked me if I'd take the old system for them.

I wasn't interested in the P133 (except maybe as a little dedicated
linux NAT device), but I did sit down with the hard drive and submit an
RMA, having NO idea when the drive was purchased or what kind of
warranty it had.  I got a response from a cs rep that said that they
apologized, but the 3-year warranty had expired a week or two previous
to my RMA submission.  However, they went ahead and pushed it through
anyway and sent me a brand-new drive (it didn't look like it had been
refurbed).

So yeah, you CAN "do that with an IDE" :P

--
Eric (the Deacon remix)