Andrew Smith wrote:
Thats probably exactly right.  You can also try using tracepath
instead of traceroute.  It will mark the async hops for you.

While none of the rest of your message really meant much to me (gg
ignorance on my part), I'm very interested to hear about this tracepath
utility.  What is it?  Where can I get it?

It's part of iputils on RH and I think also on Mandrake,
but I have no idea about Debian, FreeBSD etc.
akira:~# apt-cache search tracepath
iputils-tracepath - The tracepath utility from iputils