->-----Original Message-----
->From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
->[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Florian
->Zschocke
->Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 2:43 AM
->To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
->Subject: Re: [hlds_linux] rcon hacking w/out being logged into server?
->
->
->Bryan R. Yablonski wrote:
->> I suggest always having a firewall in front of your server.  Even simple
->> software firewalls are enough to thwart the actions of fools that try to
->> hack!
->
->Ah, right, the one-saves-all firewall answer. Brilliant idea.
->Block the hlds port and nobody will be able to "hack" your rcon.
->Not that it would matter anymore since nobody is able to connect
->to your server anymore, either.
->
-> > Trust me if a real hacker set their sights on your server you
-> > will certainly loose!
->
->Mhm, and a firewall helps sooo much, especially when it is a
->"simple software" firewall set up by someone knowing jack about
->firewalls.
->
->Florian.

I was going to leave that one alone, but florian is absolutely correct.

The only way a firewall would help in this situation, is if rcon was on a
different port than the actual server, and then you used the firewall to
limit access to that port to only certain IPs.  And even that will only get
you a limited amount of extra security.  alas, rcon is not on a different
port.

Like florian said, a firewall isnt a "one saves all" solution.

kev