Turn your cheats off simon ;)

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Simon
Garner
Sent: Friday, 28 March 2003 11:55 a.m.
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [hlds_linux] Players-in-the-sky bug

Hi guys/Valve,

I was just wondering if you were aware of the following problem. It only
started occurring to me since a few weeks (maybe a month or so) ago, so
I'm guessing it's an issue with a recent VAC update.

Sometimes when I'm playing (I haven't noticed any reproducable
conditions that cause it, sorry) I see other players get shifted upward
into the sky. It's as if the Y coordinate of the models gets corrupted
in the client's rendering. The server still sees the player in the same
place, of course - if you shoot at where the player "should" be, you
will hit him, but his model appears to be several metres above this
point. Sometimes models go the other way and sink into the ground, also.

I said this has only been occurring recently, but actually I have been
seeing this for probably a year or more, but previously it would only
ever happen at the spawn points (the T spawn on de_train seemed
particularly susceptible) when a round started and it would affect the
entire team (this has been reported before, I think). However in the
last few weeks I've started seeing it happen to individual players, all
over the maps and at any time during the round. Perhaps this is a
lingering bug in the engine that is now being exacerbated by something
in VAC (e.g. the wallhack block?) rather than directly caused by it?

When it was just happening to the entire team at spawn, it was not a
problem, as it ceases after a few seconds. But a couple of times now I
have had it happen to enemies in the middle of battle -- and if you're
in an enclosed space, when they get shifted into the sky they often go
right through the roof and are effectively invisible. Then they pop
round a corner and you get killed by somebody who you can't even see
(and you know that this is the reason, because a couple seconds later
the effect stops and they appear out of thin air - and no, it's not
lag). This is now a serious issue; if this were to occur to a player in
the middle of a league match for example, it might conceivably affect
the match's outcome.

I'm not sure if this might be system or hardware dependent; fwiw I'm
running an AMD system with a GF4 Ti4400 and nVidia drivers v4.0.4.1
under WinXP. My flatmate is running an AMD system with a Radeon card
under WinXP and tells me he also sees the same thing.

If you haven't seen this yourself, here are a couple of screenshots; one
shows the "whole team" effect, and another shows a single player sunk
into the ground. The latter persisted for several seconds and gave me
quite a fright :).

http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/~sgarner/cs/cs_italy0007.jpg
http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/~sgarner/cs/de_cbble0020.jpg

I'm sure this has happened to others here as well, anybody else got any
screenshots or examples?

-Simon