The problem: When I run hlds_run i get this:

Auto detecting CPU
Using Pentium II Optimised binary.
Enabling debug mode
Auto-restarting the server on crash

Console initialized.
Protocol version 46
Exe version 3.1.1.1
Exe build: 18:20:53 Jul 29 2003 (2469)

Then the server stops responding, I cant even enter any commands. And
i cant find anything in the logs. Hlds doesnt seem to be logging
anything anyways.

Recent Changes: Recently I recompiled the kernel. Added netfilter
support for iptables etc.

My Server: P4 2.06ghz
uname:  2.4.22_pre2-gss #3 SMP Mon Jul 14 14:28:36 AST 2003 i686
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.26GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

cmd's : top, etc.. seem to work fine.

I've even restored the old kernel, still no changes.
Any ideas with what could be wrong, or how to find out what the
problem could be ?