But as he clicked on reply instead of new, the message automagicaly
includes a reference to the original message, so sane mail clients will
see it is obviosly a reply to a previus message.
And if you see your own message, you see this header:

This is how sane mailclients organize messages in threads, not by
guessing based on subject.