<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> previously said:

> Hello,
>
> I am running 3.1.1.0c with boffix on a dual amd mp 2400 with a gig of
> ram running multiple servers. Running FreeBSD 5.1.
>
> I setup one server for 32 slots. My out of game ping to this server
> and all others on this machine is from 55-75. In game it is about the
> same till server reaches about 18 people playing. And from there on
> out the in game ping increases with each player. At about 30 players
> my in game ping is about 120-130 while at the same time the out of
> game ping is still normal at 55-75 and all other servers on the
> machine are still running normal pings. Top shows the full 32 player
> server using about 55% of one cpu so the machine is not over loaded.
> I have tried different pingboost settings and even no pingboost but
> all have the same problem. I even disabled metamod and all its
> plugins and still no go.
>
> Any idea on what to do to correct this? I used to run a 24 player
> server a month or two back and I don't recall ever having this
> problem when its full as this starts happening at 18 players on the
> new one.
>
> Thanks
> Jeremy

How did you compile the kernel?   Did you use OPTIONS HZ=1000, or some
other value?   Also, which scheduler have you used - the 4.x one or the
new ULS one?   What about some of your sysctl values like
"machdep.cpu_idle_hlt' and 'machdep.hlt_logical_cpus'?   These 2 can be
really important for the HT that goes on in conjunction with the SMP
kernel.

I've done a bit of experimentation and checking, and I also run 5.1 on a
dual 2.8 xeon box with these values:
OPTIONS HZ=1000
Machdep.cpu_idle_hlt=0
Machdep.hlt_logical_cpus=0

Compiled with ULS scheduler, and stripped clean of everything else.

Then I don't use -pingboost 3 anymore, I just use -1 because the
increase to the kernel HZ really makes a massive difference.   I'm able
to run a 32-player CS server with 3.1.1.0c + boffixv2, MM 1.16, HLG with
the aimbot checks on, and amx with a bunch of plugins and pings in-game
only increase about 10-15ms total when full.   The hlds process chews up
about 80% of one proc, and I still have a 40 player BF1942 server and
another 20 player CS server on the same box.

Mine is really smooth in-game, and will support players with high rate
settings all the way up.   One thing I notice does increase pings is
cs_office and de_inferno.   Those two maps really eat up resources, but
it seems to be on the client end more than the server end.   Yes, pings
climb much more on those maps, but they don't come close to doubling.

Michael Ressen,
Michigan Burbs Network Administrator

www.michiganburbs.com