There have been some posts to this list mentioning problems with 3.1.1.0
hlds and glibc 2.3.x. You can either downgrade your whole systems libc to
2.2.x, or simply put the files from a libc 2.2.x installation to your
hlds_l folder. hlds_run sets the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable to
the current working directory, so the files in your hlds_l will be used
instead of the system-wide installed.

Kind regards,

Dominic