2.2 uses a different vm, and shouldn't be used, its old its obselete and i
would be surprised if any new hardware worked -good- on it. ..

As for 2.4.9 the vm that was in there was removed in all kernels versions
after it.. I'm not sure the reasoning why , but i believe Linus was having
difficulities with it .. ie he had poor io and interactivity performance from
it. So he ripped it out and put in a vm based off of the earlier vm work in
the aa patchset for the 2.4 kernel tree's. As for the vm in 2.4.9 , it's no
longer worked on. The author of that particular vm Rik Van Riel, has a newer
vm out based off of reverse mappings ( not sure how this works , but you can
check out his site http://www.surriel.com/patches/ ).

Anyhow the rmap vm he made is now used in all newer redhat kernels, and a
light implementation of it was merged into 2.6. It would be more intresting
to benchmark the 2.4.9 kernel, against a more modern kernel like 2.4.22
( applied w/ either aa-vm or rrmap-vm ) and then with 2.6.0-testX version.
However I still believe most of this is Valve's fault.. They either need to
shape up and improve the cpu usage of there products, or all together release
the source code for other ppl to do work on it. This is ridiculous that
server administraters have to downgrade there systems in order to get better
half-life server results.

Matt