Christopher Choo wrote:
Hi,

Would it not be a better idea to use country codes instead of region numbers
instead? Then Valve themselves could specify the continents using their own
software provided to determine if a server is in Asia, North America and so
on. Having Asia as a single region is a huge mistake, as players from Korea
would not be able to properly connect to my server in Singapore. Neither can
you expect say an Eastern Russia player connect to a server in India.

I don't get all this fuss about the regions. As i understand it, the regions were not introduced to show you the server next door. They were introduced to prefilter the server list in order to not have the client update 50,000 servers in the server browser. It is meant to limit the servers show in the server browser to a manageable number and keep the load for updating info about these servers low. The region is used to show you the servers most likely to give you a low ping, being near you.

A player from Korea wouldn't connect to a server in Singapore
because he will still check the pings before he connects to a
server. The differece is that the update of the server list in his
browser will be faster since all the servers that are likely to
have a 500+ ping are filtered first.

Florian.