I have noticed that the server I run seems to only ever crash during a
mapchange, some of these mapchanges are due to plugins (either by
public vote or admin command) and some are due to the regular 30 minute
cycle. It's not core dumping or anything and I havn't seen any while
watching the console so I can't report any error numbers.

I have checked back through the logs I had avalible (back to begining of
November) and it appears that the server always crashes while
initialising the cvars, in addtion it appears to frequently fail while
initialising the same cvars. For example out of 14 crashes in December
13 of them show the last logged line (usually incomplete) as being:

Server cvar "sv_cheats" = "0"

The exception was the first crash in December which, like the last three
in November, was while attempting:

Server cvar "sv_clienttrace" = "1"

(sv_clienttrace is the next cvar set after sv_cheats)

The other thing I noticed is that all the logfiles where the server has
crashed have a file size of 4096 (not complaining mind since it makes
finding them rather easier).

Steam DoD (so  version 1.1.2.4 at time of writing)
AMX 096j & Metamod 1.17 (not sure of the exact minor versions, build
dates for both are 11/27/03, updated after the steam update on 11/26/03
that gave CS servers all the problems)

P4 2.4 Ghz
512 Mb Ram

RedHat 7.3

I don't know if there's anything in this but the server crashing 13
times in row in almost exactly the same place (as far as can be told
from the logs anyway) makes me wonder.

I'll turn on debug mode and see if that shows anything, incidently what
exactly does debug mode do? (I've not used it before) is it just more
verbose about logging errors?

Nick