On Wed, 17 Dec 2003, Brian A. Stumm wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Dec 2003, Alfred Reynolds wrote:
>
> > This is a bug, it shouldn't change these files every time (note that it
> > will occasionally when we need to add new functionality, but this
> > shouldn't be often). We are looking into it.
> >
> > On a related note this release will not re-verify your install every
> > time you run the "steam" command (it doesn't download the file, it just
> > checks that it is up to date). So if you ever delete or corrupt a file
> > just run the steam command to get things back in sync.
>
> No offense but this is unacceptible. Overwriting config files which have
> the potential to be lenghty and complicated without at LEAST performing a
> simple "mv autoexec.cfg autoexec.bat" prior to doing so is just silly. The
> community is making blanket statements to set permissions to read only on
> these files and meanwhile valve feels they need the ability to overwrite.
> Combine the above actions and we are asking for problems.

I think it requires -autoupdate to be renamed to something like
-breakyourinstallupdate as surely, if you have to go fix what it broke
when it updated itself, its not auto is it?

I'm glad I turned that option off a few weeks ago, with the intention of
writing a better distribution of updates rather than updating each server
seperatly. However, it seems that anyone who runs a server and still wants
it to work on a Thursday is going to have to be present to fix things on a
Wednesday night.

Valve, can you not stop updating steam, fix the problems with it. Test it
(release a beta to the server admin community to try and find problems),
and then fix those problems, then release it properly. I can't
see how running the system as it is helps anyone?

john