I had some funkiness when updating my server and managed to sort it be
following these simple steps.

1. Run your steam update the old fashioned way.  This will update your
steam client.

    ./steam -update cstrike /path/to/steam/ [EMAIL PROTECTED] password

2. Remove the blob, the blob is bad.

    rm /path/to/.steam/ClientRegistry.blob

3. Run your new steam to create your account.

    ./steam -command create -username leethaxor -email [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    -password password -question question -answer answer

4. Run your new steam to get the update.

    ./steam -command update -game cstrike -dir /path/to/steam/ -username
    leethaxor -email [EMAIL PROTECTED] -password password -verify_all

5. Fix liblist.gam... they've clobbered it again, so metamod won't work
   immediately afterwards.  (I haven't done this yet, out of laziness,
   I think it'll be a no-brainer, just hope the new engine still works
   with metamod.

Note to Valve, please please please leave liblist.gam alone, or provide a
seperate file that specifies the gamedll_linux stuff.  We like metamod,
we like amx/adminmod... we like things *just working*, we don't like
having to fix silly things... like liblist.gam.

Cheers,
James