go with intel? what planet are u from? i mean not me, but tomshardware.com
and THIS list talk about how good AMD performs with hlds.. unless i'm
totally missing something...

 7200rpm ide drives are really ok with linux since the maps is loaded in a few
seconds anyway. ext2/3 and reiserfs are much better than fat32/nfts.

 what u need is a strong motherboard (abit/asus) and HIGH FSB. fast
processor, fast ram (prefered CL2, dual-channel) and 333-400FSB.

 and yes IT MATTERS if it runs syncronously. cpu-fsb-mem.

/mike