-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Mike
Sent: 27 May 2004 20:05
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [hlds_linux] Re: Opteron / 64bit

My apologies, I was in quite a rush when I wrote that, and forgot to
trim it
down. Replying to digests is a pain, maybe its time I start receiving
them
on a per message format.

To head back on-topic:

Steven,

We've just picked up a Dual Opteron 242 (2GB RAM - Dual 36.7 Raptors).
It is
running FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE (32bit, of course). With a basic FreeBSD
install, HZ 1000, and using the linux_base-8 emulator, I am experiencing
somewhat high cpu usage. Something along the lines of about 50% usage on
de_aztec with 15 players, and 40-45% on de_dust2. I noticed that in your
post you said:

"AMD 2.2Ghz:
dod_escape: 28%
dod_kalt: 30%
dod_avalanche:  34%"

That is quite different usage from us. I realize yours is 600mhz faster
per
cpu, and we are running an HZ 1000 kernel, but the difference still
seems
quite substantial, especially considering that we're running CS as
compared
to you running DOD, as well as 3 more players. If I can ask 2 simple
questions: what emulators are you running, and had you slimmed the
kernel
down at all in the above post?

This weekend we'll strip down the kernel, try the debian emulators (in 2
out
of 2 cases so far we've experienced quite a bit lower cpu usage on
debian),
and run HZ 200 as well as 1000 to see if we can get any different
results
(of course, the HZ 200 will lower the usage).

Thanks,
-Mike

In yet ANOTHER bold display of sarcasm, Eric wrote:
> Mike, please try to make even the least effort at a token nod to
> netiquette in the future.  Trim the quoted text to something besides
the
> *entire* digest, quote the relevant passage(s) to which you are
> responding, etc.  Thanks! :)"

> From: "Steven Hartland" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>FFS people cut the post when replying. You just send 873 lines
>for your 16 words of content and even those had already been
>covered in a previous post."

---