Just wanted to talk about dual hyperthreaded CPU's. I have a dual xeon
HT machine on FreeBSD. When compiled with SMP options and enabling the
HT sysctl the machine runs with 4 logical CPU's. Which drop the overall
CPU usage significantly and it works very well. This has been my
experience with hyper threading and FreeBSD.

dual_bereta_r0x wrote:

Owen T. Soroke wrote:

From what I understand to this point, there is no way to effectively

utilize dual CPU's.

hlds_l and srcds do not support multithreading, nor does FreeBSD handle
dual processors on behalf of the Half-Life processes.

Also, as Steven commented, there is no way to specify which CPU a
process will run on.

As a result, all processing would always take place on CPU-0.

Owen

Not true. The OS can be smart enough to see that one cpu is idle, where
other is not, so new processes can be started "automagically" in idle cpu.

There's a 3rd party tool for linux who do some processor affinity, in
http://www.ccur.com/rt_oss.asp . Not tested for game servers, but some
other apps (apache/sendmail) works quite well.

--
dual_bereta_r0x -- Alexandre Hautequest
ArenaNetwork Lan House & Cyber -- www.arenanetwork.com.br