In a bold display of creativity, Toker wrote:
A while back, steam was handing out server based on the last octet of the
IP address.  This changed.  Does anybody know how it is done now?

I had a server that had .2 as the last octet and it was full 24/7.  No,
the servers have been sitting idle 24/7.  I know they changed something.
I have searched everywhere and can't find a straight answer.

Anyway know the quick answer?

Your servers weren't very good. That's the quick answer. I mean, if they were full 24/7 for many months, and they're a ghost town all of a sudden as soon as newer, better servers are on the list, you didn't have much--if any--semblance of a community.

--
Eric (the Deacon remix)