previously posted:

-------
>> I feel like I'm missing something simple and stupid. I install
hlds/linux
via steam, it installs in the normal manner. I change *nothing*. I run:

/hlds_run -game valve

and it works fine. I run:

/hlds_run -game gearbox

and I get:

/hlds_run -game gearbox

Auto detecting CPU
Using AMD Optimised binary.
Auto-restarting the server on crash
Console initialized.
scandir failed:/usr/local/HLServer/gearbox/./valve/SAVE
scandir failed:/usr/local/HLServer/gearbox/./platform/SAVE
Protocol version 47
Exe version 1.1.2.0/Stdio (valve)
Exe build: 02:38:45 Jul 7 2004 (2738)
STEAM Auth Server
couldn't exec language.cfg
Server IP address 127.0.0.1:27015
Host_Error: Couldn't get DLL API from [EMAIL PROTECTED]"<@[EMAIL PROTECTED]
FATAL ERROR (shutting down): Host_Error: Couldn't get DLL API
from [EMAIL PROTECTED]"<@[EMAIL PROTECTED] <<
-------

Looks like there is a possible conflict between "gearbox" and "valve" (an
inconsistency anyway).
"valve" is the basic, un-modded game type for HL.

Looking at the "steam" update program, if you list the parameters:

-------

/steam -xxx

WARNING: unrecognized parameter '-xxx'
Checking bootstrapper version ...

Use: steam -command <command> [parameters] [flags]

Commands:
 create: Create a Steam Account
   parameters:
      -username <username>    -   Username of Steam account
(case-insensitive)
      -email <email>          -   Email address
      -password <password>    -   Password for the account (case-sensitive)
      -question <question>    -   Password reminder question
      -answer <answer>        -   Password reminder secret answer
(case-sensitive)

   For example: steam -command create -username foobar -email [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-password pasSwoRd -question "cat's name?" -answer Gordo

 update: Install or update HLDS
   parameters:
      -game <game>            -   Mod name: cstrike, tfc, dod, dmc, valve,
czero, or ricochet
      -dir <installdir>       -   HLDS Install dir
      -username <username>    -   Steam username
      -password <password>    -   Password
      (if username, password, or dir not specified, will use value from
last run of tool)
   flags:
      -remember_password      -   Remember Steam password so is not needed
next time
      -verify_all             -   Verify all HLDS files are up to date
      -retry                  -   Automatically retry every 30 seconds if
the Steam Network is busy

   For example: steam -command update -game cstrike -dir /hlds -username
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -password pasSwoRd -remember_password

 version: View installed versions
 list: View available games

Optional parameters for all commands:
-------

But if you try:

-------
steam -command list
Checking bootstrapper version ...
** 'game' options for Source DS Install:

        "Counter-Strike Source"

** 'game' options for HL1 DS Install:

        "cstrike"
        "czero"
        "dmc"
        "dod"
        "gearbox"
        "ricochet"
        "tfc"
-------

For "game", one has gearbox listed and the other has valve listed.

The hlds_run script uses "valve" as the default but it does not list any
game types, including "gearbox". It allows "gearbox" as an install option
(also allows "valve" but doesn't list it).

I can run:

/steam -command update -game valve -dir . -username $STEAMUSER -password
$STEAMPASSWD -verify_all

This just appears to verify the contents of the existing "valve" directory.

I can also run:

/steam -command update -game gearbox -dir . -username $STEAMUSER -password
$STEAMPASSWD -verify_all

The gearbox version generates a new directory "gearbox" with maps and
stuff, like the "cstrike" directory for Counter-Strike. Make sure that you
have downloaded all of the game files for the gearbox mod type.

Hope that helps.

......Chuck (Old and Slow)

http://www.TexasArlingtonCS.us