Thank you, Philip! Thank you.

export MALLOC_CHECK_=1

Let's me run the game without any further trouble. By not setting it to
zero it also continues to report the memory leaks, etc. From the number
of error messages it looks like the executables only *barely* work
anyway. :)

Cheers
Andrew

Philip Lorenz wrote:

FYI this is a glibc issue. The fedora people have implemented changes
that will shutdown the executable if an invalid call to free is made.
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/22501
Please view that website on how to control this behaviour. I have
personally not tested this but downgraded glibc instead but it might be
worth a try (and yes same behaviour happened on a 32bit system).

So either:
- Valve fixes those nasty free calls to invalid memory locations (I
asked for this before)
- You downgrade
- You try to disable this behaviour by setting the environment
variable to 0

Philip