But the following in your sysctl.conf on Linux and then issues a sysctl
-p /etc/sysctl.cnf

net.ipv4.tcp_syncookies = 0
# change syncookies to 1 if you will use them
net.ipv4.tcp_ecn = 0
net.core.rmem_max = 8388608
net.core.rmem_default = 262143
net.core.wmem_max = 8388608
net.core.wmem_default = 262143
net.ipv4.tcp_rmem = 4096 87380 4194304
net.ipv4.tcp_wmem = 4096 87380 4194304
net.ipv4.tcp_max_syn_backlog = 16384
net.ipv4.tcp_fin_timeout = 15
net.ipv4.tcp_tw_reuse = 1
net.ipv4.tcp_tw_recycle = 1
net.ipv4.ip_local_port_range = 1024 65535

You can also look into using hdparm to turn on ultra dma and writeback cache
support on your ide drive , if you use an ide drive. An example is as
follows ::

hdparm -W1 -c1 -M254 -d1 /dev/hda

matt