What your describing sounds more like a proxy server than NAT.  while it
may also nat, your changing a lot of things in the packet on the way to
the gameserver.

Is there any particular reason you must change the source ip of the
player packets?   I''m not familar with an SLS server but I'm assuming
its a proxy server?   50% on a 17xx servers is not that high, why do you
think its going to fall over if you set it up different?

Bryan Socha
Accident.

Adam 'Starblazer' Romberg wrote:

I posted this on the forums, and for sake of my santy, I'm posting it
here too.

http://www.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1682656

--- begin cut ---
Okay, I dont want to dump another 309$ into my router because of
STEAM.

Here we go.

The steam networks retarded authentication breaks on NAT. We have a
server which we would like to have publicly available, with an
externally supplied address. Our customers route to our SLS server,
and then bounce out of external address. When they try to route to our
server, our router just bounces them to our external, yet they connect
as the internal scope (192.168.1.100-125).

This of course, throws out an invalid STEAM UserID ticket error,
because the original IP that was used to register to the master
servers doesn't match the connecting ip.

Anyone else have this issue and have a resolution?

ps. Nat-On-A-Stick will not work, we will bake our Cisco 1721.
Already pushing 50% at peak times.

---- end cut ----

any other clues guys?

Thanks in advance,