The information in that post is ambigious at best. You do not need to
forward all of those ports, as hlds does not use most of them locally. If
your firewall/router will allow outgoing ports to be opened, and keep them
open for a reasonable amount of time, then you do not technically need to
open any ports at all to sucessfully run hlds. However, if you want your
server to appear on a standard port, such as 27015, then you need to open
27015 UDP. I believe there is a second outgoing port you need to open to
support the friends network (um...I forgot what it is...). Most of the ports
listed are ports used at the remote end, not ports your server uses. Opening
most ports in your firewall/router accomplishes absolutely nothing. Some
firewalls require rules that allow access from your psuedo random port to a
remote dedicated port, or allow such rules if you really want to lock down
your installation.

As for how long it takes, if everything is working normally then your server
will appear on the server list in 60 seconds or less. At least everytime
I've started a server, that is how long it took it to appear. Again, this
assumes that everything is working normally :)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gilly Cottle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Sent: Monday, November 29, 2004 4:22 PM Subject: Re: [hlds_linux] How long does it take?

http://forums.unitedadmins.com/index.php?showtopic=35684&view=findpost&p=201035 Forward those ports.

My servers are joined pretty much, automatically.