Checking/Installing 'Base Source Shared Materials' version 3
Verifying: /home/******/css\hl2\materials\brick\brickfloor001a.vmt
Failed to set file attributes

Using the same command, and yes it does have read/write/x, even if the
whole directory is  chmod -R 777 cssfolder, blobs or no blobs there
(and the blobs etc are writeable).

Do it as root, same command works perfect, works first time every
time, so either do it manually or a root cron which i hate the concept
of but its the only way with some setups. Tried renaming, replacing
the either or both of the .blob files etc, nothing makes any
difference. The command structure is fine, its what it does with the
files and where which is the problem if you don't use their expected
expected setup.

The only thing I found once when checking is that steam effectively
did a "chown" change of ownership of certain files (haven't tested
recently though) which for me is a bit of a sad thing to do. So
basically works if you are the user, but doesn't work if for example
you are updating it as an admin group.

Can it be so difficult? I still don't know why steam needs to know any
account name or password for a dedicated server as its free? No other
autoupdate programs have stupid problems like these.

Thank you for trying to help with the full command though, hopefully
it will help some out there.