Glenn said:

Hate to tell you this, but that is not the maps directory of any HL2DM
server I run. It looks suspiciously like my old HL1DM server's maps
directory however.

The "game" to install to install HL2 Deathmatch is actually "hl2mp", so
beware of installing the wrong item.

Yeah, I think I've got it going right now. But, apparently, you need to first use steam to install Counter-Strike Source and then install HL2MP and/or HL2DM ...

CSS is installing now and it's download a ton of hl2 files that I didn't
have before.  I'm hoping the trick is the install of CSS first.

It seems like it's easy to get the HL1 files downloaded but that's not
what I wanted.

Bill W