ScratchMonkey wrote:

--On Tuesday, March 15, 2005 1:45 PM +0100 "Raoul Bhatia [ipax]"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

for 1000 fps, the scheduler has to load hlds 1000x. so you have to
config the kernel to run on more than 1000 fps as you've got a couple of
other processes (syslog, mail, init, etc etc etc) running on every
system.

honestly i never bothered to run a server on 1000fps and lock them to
400-500 fps as these numbers are enough.

Are we talking about the 1000 HZ scheduler setting? Note that context
switches don't necessarily happen on every scheduler interrupt. The high
frequency just allows higher priority tasks to take over with less latency
when they come ready. Normally several ticks go by before the scheduler
selects a new process to run, based on CPU and I/O usage.

of course you're right. but it's still valid that other programs too eat cpu time and therefore one has to set the kernel to more than 1000hz when trying to keep a steady 1000fps in linux.

best regards,
raoul bhatia