--On Monday, April 04, 2005 1:55 PM -0400 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I saw a website that suggested adding this to your iptables... Any
comments? Would this be good?

No, because the rules are conflicting and poorly optimized. You can't have more than one TOS value for the same protocol/port/direction. You want Minimize-Delay, not Maximize-Throughput. (The latter is good for bulk traffic like web and FTP, but not on a game server where it would compete with the game traffic.)

You only need this on UDP ports, and only on output packets (unless you're
on a router), because there's no queues on the inbound path to affect. So
use "-A OUTPUT -p udp".

You should use either a port range (eg. 27000:27025) or the multiport match
module to list the ports in one rule, instead of listing one port per rule.

I don't have any UDP traffic on my box that shouldn't benefit from this, so
I leave out the port specifier. DNS and TeamSpeak can also benefit from
this.

So my rules:

iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -p udp -j TOS --set-tos Minimize-Delay
iptables -t mangle -A OUTPUT -p udp -j TOS --set-tos Minimize-Delay
iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -p udp -j TOS --set-tos Minimize-Delay

(I include it in the forwarding tables because it doesn't cost anything and
I can use the same script on all my routers.)

You should combine this with "traffic shaping". See the Wondershaper at
http://lartc.org/.