-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Michael
McKoy
Sent: Wednesday, April 27, 2005 7:01 PM
To: hlds_linux@list.valvesoftware.com
Subject: [hlds_linux] HTTP Downloading.. Exploitable?

[ Picked text/plain from multipart/alternative ] This did not happen to
me, but to a member of my community. We have a SourceForts server, as of
a few days ago. I'd like to know Alfred's take on this.. Can the
sv_urldownload be abused in this manner? This is his post in its entire
text.. I don't THINK this is from the Source Forts mod, I believe
someone may have found a way to use the http downloads for this, but I
could be wrong. SF was originally written by a 12 year old, though he's
no longer developing it and a new team is running things. I do know its
console randomly prints "go fuck yourself shithead", but I haven't
gotten around to looking at the publicly available source code to hunt
that down. (See here: http://knd.org.uk/sourceforts/) ... I suppose
someone could have used the available source and made a version to do
this specificly, though. Or, my user may simply be completely mistaken.
However, I thought I'd check.

"FYI:
Today I was gonna practice some on a server with one other person on a
custom map. When I go to join, as expected the dl box opens and proceeds
to dl. About half-way through, I.E. opens up and I notice the addition
and contruction of a hot link toolbar. I terminate IE and respond to
HL2:DM SF to monitor the progress of a non responcive dl box. Imediately
escaping to the consul (luckily I configured that some time ago) I
exited HL2:DM SF. My next goal is to inspect why there is a toolbar in
IE. For I suspected that it was a result of not dling a map but rather
the server was installing viruses and spyware. Nothing was further from
the truth b/c task panel revealed a shit load of spyware/viruses. I ran
a full system scan with a up-todate Norton Antivirus that returned
nothing. NAV did not find anything. Extremely pissed at a anti virus
program I paid $30 to continue from prior subscription. With out the
help of NAV I figure I can easily fix the problem. I terminate all the
extrenuos processes induced by the server and go to replace my Registery
with a back from 3/30/05. A msgbox appears and states only a partial
import of the Register can be done. So I figured I'd reboot the PC and
start in safe-mode but (it's only spyware I figured) but the notebook
never was able to restart windows. Luckily I was caring the WIndows XP
disk with me this week and was able to try to repair what I could
through DOS prompt, only to be met with dead ends and no results. I
followed up with a repair installation of XP and still nothing. Finally
I've had to settle for a full partition, format, and installation of XP.
My only concern is that if I got a virus through the SF mod, what is
stopping others from doing the same on CSS or HL2:DM servers. Inaddition
I'm now refuse to play the Source Forts mod not any other self-published
mod unless vALVE backs it up. Atleast then I can point the finger at
them. I also post this as a warning for others that the Source Fort mod
is insecure and should not be played. Further inquery will be to ask my
friend if he to encountered any problems when he went to connect to the
relative empty server."