I get this if I'm doing this on a fat32 drive, or if there is a permission
issue on the directory I'm installing to. I ended up logging in as root and
creating a directory for steam and giving root ownership of the directory.
Then it worked. YMMV, as I'm running Slackware 10.0

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andy Townsend" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: <hlds_linux@list.valvesoftware.com> Sent: Sunday, May 01, 2005 2:52 PM Subject: [hlds_linux] Troubles installing hlds on FC3

Hi

Recently setup a fedora box to put some css game servers on. First time i
did it, it installed fine but i recently formatted the drive. Now when i
download the hldsupdatetool.bin and run steam from that, it tells me its
getting version 13 of the Steam HLDS Update Tool.

Then it errors, something along the line of

tar: option requires an argument -- C
Try `tar --help' for more information.
update failed, please run "tar xzUf LinuxHldsUpdateTool_13.pkg" to install
the latest steam binary, errno 115 "Operation now in progress"

It leaves a .pkg file in root called LinuxHldsUpdateTool_13.pkg. It
instructs you to tar xzUF LinuxHldsUpdateTool_13.pkg and then run the
steam
update again.

However when i do this i get the same error message as before.

Any ideas or anyone had this before?

Any hlep is greatly appreciated.

Andy

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.308 / Virus Database: 266.11.0 - Release Date: 29/04/2005