This was the last official word on Friday, March 25th, 2005:

For people playing multiplayer games, there will not be any visible difference
while we're conducting the beta, but we will be logging cheating violations
into our database to make sure it's ready for general release. This will be the
last public notice before the system is released and active for everyone.