that really depends who you ask :-p

if you ask a gamer they will likely tell you that every frame matters as
it increases shot registration.

if you ask a server admin, anything over a few hundred is overkill for sure.

realistically, there would be negligible performance gain from a server
fps of 333 to 1000.  pings will go down a little bit going from 100 to
333, but not too much from 333 and up.

basically what it comes down to is pleasing your clients (assuming you
are an admin for a rental company).  the gamers will see a huge fps and
think it is a good server, even though they would be as satisfied with a
lower fps.

the higher the fps the higher the cpu usage in most cases.  normally it
is not a drastic change (one or two percent) but it can be higher or
lower depending.

Reza A. Ambler wrote:
Are framerates that high really needed? What sort of latency difference
would it make in game? Is that the difference between 15 latency and 35
latency? Also does this reduce the # of daemons you can run on the the
box?
Thanks