Hi,

Over the last three weeks or so, myself and all our regular players, have
been observing curious - and seemingly random - lag spikes on our public
CS:S 64 player server.

Now, before we draw into question the hardware required for a 64 player
server, the machine is an Opteron, with a gig of memory and super fast
drives, network cards and all that jazz.

Also, another line of enquiry would be my backbone provider.  As a test for
this, we re-routed the server to a completely different provider (albeit in
the same building, but we're talking Redbus in London, one of the largest
data centres in the UK).  After 24 hours, I am still seeing the random lag
spikes.

Thus, this brings into question whether or not it is the software.  The
machine is running a no-thrills Debian Linux installation, boa (a lean HTTP
server for sv_downloadurl) and one srcds.

So, is it srcds?  I bound 'rcon stats' to a key and kept hammering it so
it'd build up a good sample of data.  Here is what I saw when a lag spike
occurred:

CPU   In    Out   Uptime  Users   FPS    Players
63.00 93469.63 275140.50     725    23   10.00      52
CPU   In    Out   Uptime  Users   FPS    Players
71.33 100367.20 228182.03     725    23   31.25      52
CPU   In    Out   Uptime  Users   FPS    Players
75.50 101542.27 254584.66     725    23  166.86      52

10 frames a second?  That is very low...  166 is about normal.  This was on
de_chateau, but similar things also happen on cs_office, as well as some
custom maps.

Has anyone else experienced this?  I question if it was srcds because it
seemed to start happening since 1.0.0.18...

Cheers,
--
Bart King -- http://www.bart666.com
+44 781 219 5654 -- PGP: 0xC9C3EB8B