From: "Clayton Macleod" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <hlds_linux@list.valvesoftware.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2005 6:56 PM
Subject: Re: [hlds_linux] Tickrate 100

not to mention any competitive quake3 play would be using 100 snaps,
not 20 or 30.

On 5/24/05, Ian mu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I agree, 20 fps in those games and play fine. Fair enough hl may
require more framerates for whatever reason, but these should be
fixed at whatever is deemed the best figure to get decent
playability.

Probably the biggest question/issue I never see raised is "how much
does you fps fluctuate by when busy". It's fine trying to get 1000
fps, but what are you getting when the servers are busy and all in
use and loaded max? I bet they're not all happily running at 1000fps
without a care in the world when full, so you get inconsistant
servers.

I still think the best way to go is get a decent setup and fix it, so
every server out there is as consistant as possible, whether thats
100fps or 200 or whatever, none of this 1000fps showing what a great
server it is until it gets busy, or half the servers running at
50fps, half at 1000.

Ian