Richard Fennell wrote:

Hi, My views on hitbox and spraying / accuracy

Hi!

The ability to spray accurately and the required crouch
for better accuracy was a learning curve for gamers, a skill to aquire
and develop.

What a poor strategy, crouching at any range never had much benefit in
1.6 nor 1.5 nor 1.4 nor 1.3, in CS you want to remain as mobile as
possible, you refer to clans and competitive players later on as if
you're familar with high-level play, but may I ask what excellent teams
you're watching in 1.6 who crouch for accuracy? ... maybe I'm just
behind the times.

Footsteps are hardly audible giving players no reason to play a more
tactical game.

This is partly due to the horrible Direct3D(?) sound that's enabled by
default most of the time, toggle dsp_enhance_stereo to 0 in console or
set sound quality in medium

There are major competitions and some real kudos for the players who are
"skilled" enough to compete at a professional level. I think players
will struggle to constantly perform well when there is so much
random-ness. Clan A might win this match because on the day the bullet
reg was better but clan B might win the next because they got lucky with
reg. Luck not skill seems to be the key.

Welcome to the internet, and excuses - inconsistancy is something you
have to deal with when playing (on the internet, especially).

1. Hitboxes or bullet reg needs modifying to make body shots easier and
headshots harder.

The hitboxes could be tightened up somewhat, but no matter how absurdly
small you make the head hitbox there will always be a chance a random
bullet in a spray will hit it, unfortunately. ... and there's too many
things that could go wrong in trying to "fix" this issue, like valve's
poorly engineered answer to the "awp exploit" in 1.6,

-Ok, the head hitbox is now divided into 500 arranged cubes that almost
perfectly cover the exact dimensions of the head at every angle, making
a direct precise hits necessary (pay no attention to the 500mb of extra
ram SRCDS now uses!)

"omfg valve n00berts are still spraying my fizzace 70% of the time!!!"
"omfg valve the n3rds who play 8 hours a day always headshot me with
their first shot and I can't kill them 30% of the time!!!!"

-Ok, the first bullet is no longer accurate on any gun, enjoy!

"yay valve I really enjoy not knowing where even my first carefully
aimed shot is going, wonderful! /sarcasm"
"omg thank u valve now headshots are much harder and the UMP is the best
gun now, u rock!! so realistic!!"

Well, that's over the top but that's my fear regardless ... one thing
they could fix without much effort is resizing the terrorist model so it
actually fits into his hitboxes.

3. Accuracy when running needs to be toned down to encourage a more
tactical game.

I never really noticed much of a difference in this area in source, I
hope atleast you're not complaining about strafe/stop/bursting, because
that to me is "a skill to aquire and develop".

I know it's a big temptation to post this to the list since it's lower
traffic and more visible to the dev's than steampowered, but please
refrain from gameplay/client debate here - it amounts to spam and
distracts from the topic at hand, of course - I'm a hypocrit since I
couldn't resist supplying my own two cents, oh well