Up the HZ on the kernel should sort u out, also check ur not
using the ULE scheduler.

   Steve / K
----- Original Message -----
From: "Philip Koshy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <hlds_linux@list.valvesoftware.com>
Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2005 1:42 AM
Subject: [hlds_linux] What am I doing wrong? Horrible horrible performance in
FreeBSD...

I'm new to linux but not to CS1.6 server issues. I was attempting to
setup a quick FreeBSD CS 1.6 server and ran into issues...I choose
FreeBSD because of the supposed security benefits over linux distros.

I did some quick performance testing using both FreeBSD and Debian on
the same system. I used -pingboost 3 with hlds_run and set the
sys_ticrate to 10000.

When using the stats command, the fps in FreeBSD fluctuates wildly
(and boy do I mean wildly), anywhere from 250 - 1000 fps while using
pingboost 3.While using Debian, the fps was relatively solid (it was
around 900-1000 fps)

This is an absolutely incredible performance difference and I am
guessing it is because FreeBSD uses the Linux compatibility layer?
That is a complete guess however...

I know that many of the top game hosting companies use FreeBSD (like
griffinrun.com) but I don't understand how they did it.

Any guidance would be MUCH appreciated.

This e.mail is private and confidential between Multiplay (UK) Ltd. and the
person or entity to whom it is addressed. In the event of misdirection, the
recipient is prohibited from using, copying, printing or otherwise
disseminating it or any information contained in it.

In the event of misdirection, illegible or incomplete transmission please
telephone (023) 8024 3137
or return the E.mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]