Alfred Reynolds [EMAIL PROTECTED] spoke forth:
> I find myself being asked quite often about what CPU/net
> requirements it takes to run a server. I have answers
> based upon our internal playtesting but I would also like
> to hear what you guys use in the wild.
>
> So, my questions are:
> 1) What speed CPU do you use for a 32 player HL1 server
> (CS 1.6) 2) What speed CPU do you use for a 32 player
> Source server (CS:S) 3) How much bandwidth per user do
> you allow for a HL1 server 4) How much bandwidth per user
> do you allow for a Source server 5) How much difference
> is there in these requirements for other mods?
>
> - Alfred

Anyone remember this file that went around a lot way back in the day?
http://www.cs-onp.com/files/elminst/transfer.xls
Spreadsheet to calculate the bandwidth needed for x # of players on a CS
server.

Unfortunately it is woefully out of date at this point, since he was running
the server on a P2-450.
Ahh, those halcyon days of 1999-2000; when you could run a 16 player server
and stats webpage all on a p2-400 with 256 ram...

I'd love to see an update to this, or something like it.

Elminst