apache has bandwidthlimiting too, but ppl usin downloadurl becuase the DONT
WANT bandwidth limiting. however, the best was is to user mod_rewrite and to
check condition if the remote http refferer is one of the allowed
gameservers. if not, well, one way would be to throw an error, another way
would be to direct them to ur website.
if the remote http refferer is correct (hl2://....) u allow access with full
speed. well, if u still want bandwidth shaping use one of the bandwidth
shaping modules coming with apache1/2 :)
almost forgot: u can use mod_rewrite directives within ur .htaccess
container. ;)

regards

Simon
PS: and now please back to mailinglist topic... knowledge how to
configure/secure apache is an issue of another mailinglist. :D

Simon Lange   //Director
www.polynaturedesign.com
+49[0]4131 220121 PHONE
+49[0]4131 224730 FAX