I have been looking at this as well, Free to Inactive Memory can cause
issues, it would be nice to be able to cause the proccesses to only be
able to gain memory, rather that allow them to release into inactive.
I know everyone running on 512 MB > on their servers will be flaming
me, but when you have 2 to 4 GB's of memory, and a 2 GB swap on top of
that, which is never used, you would sacrifice memory for performance.

On 7/17/05, Christoph Franke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> --
> Hello folks,
>
> just wanted to know what the cvar sv_forcepreload is _exactly_ for and
> if it is advisable to set it to 1 on a dedicated linux server. The other
> question is, if one can achieve a performance gain by setting an above
> default heapsize. Lots of rumors circulate ("use 1/2 of your physical
> ram"), but no hardened facts, as far as my research went. I come to
> think, that at some point these huge memory reservations get
> counterproductive. But I might err. So what's your advise?
>
> Server is a dual opteron with 2 GB ECC Ram.
>
> Regards
>
> Christoph
> --
>
> [ signature.asc of type application/pgp-signature deleted ]
> --

DJ Fadyeyev
Founder
e-Plutonia