On 7/17/05, Steve Dalberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Lastly, and I'm not sure on this, but I don't believe that
> all updates from a server to client are identical, but I'm not sure...

"Game data is compressed using delta compression to reduce network
load. That means the server doesn't send a full world snapshot each
time, but rather only changes (a delta snapshot) that happened since
the last acknowledged update. With each packet sent between the client
and server, acknowledge numbers are attached to keep track of their
data flow. Usually full (non-delta) snapshots are only sent when a
game starts or a client suffers from heavy packet loss for a couple of
seconds. Clients can request a full snapshot manually with the
cl_fullupdate command." --
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Source_Multiplayer_Networking