Btw, often I find when people say that the & doesn't work at the end
of a command, they are quitting putty or something without an
exit/quit command, and just closing the window which causes it to die,
whereas closing properly will keep it running with & at the end.

For those that don't use screen (or want to), I often suggest doing
"nohup ./command blah blah &" to cover pretty much all bases I can
think of with how they quit.

Having said that, I personally always use screen, just as I find it
easier to reattach anytime when fault finding etc.

Ian