This is a  script we use for all our instances, it's a nice wrapper
script that allows you to use {start|stop|restart} to manage the
servers.  It's lightly modified from a script I found some time back for
1.6 and sadly I can't remember who originally wrote it to give them the
credit.  The only credit listed in the file is a cryptic "edited by
jwm".  In any event here it is

** note the params lines are both single lines but the mail program
wrapped    them

#! /bin/sh

PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin

DIR=/gaming/css1
DAEMON=$DIR/srcds_run
# LAN-server:
# PARAMS="-game cstrike -nomaster -insecure +sv_lan 1 +maxplayers 16
+map de_dust2"
# Internet-server:
PARAMS="-game cstrike -ip 111.222.111.222 -port 27018 -steamport 27081
+maxplayers 20 +map de_train -tvdisable"
NAME=hardcss1
DESC="[H]ardCS:S Server #1"

case "$1" in
start)
  echo "Starting $DESC: $NAME"
  cd $DIR
  screen -d -m -S $NAME $DAEMON $PARAMS
  ;;

stop)
  if [[ `screen -ls |grep $NAME` ]]
  then
      echo -n "Stopping $DESC: $NAME"
      kill `screen -ls |grep $NAME |awk -F . '{print $1}'|awk '{print
$1}'`
      echo " ... done."
  else
      echo "Coulnd't find a running $DESC"
  fi
  ;;

restart)
  if [[ `screen -ls |grep $NAME` ]]
  then
      echo -n "Stopping $DESC: $NAME"
      kill `screen -ls |grep $NAME |awk -F . '{print $1}'|awk '{print
$1}'`
      echo " ... done."
  else
      echo "Coulnd't find a running $DESC"