What game will indeed help. But for our DOD server we are using shrikbot.
Not great but enough to popluate a server.
 I hear strumbot is good but its no longer updated because the guy who makes
it is on the Red Cross missing persons list from the Tsuami.
 If you want CS then steam has built in bots. I dont know about CS 1.6 but
its there in CZ and CS:S i think.