In a bold display of creativity, ScratchMonkey wrote:
What do you suppose
accounts for the difference? Poor compiler? Choice of optimizations?
Specific other processes stealing cycles? (Recall that neither Win32 nor
Linux are monolithic and exact objects; both are assemblies of varying and
versioned components.)

I'd suppose it's the magical flying monkeys that just came shooting out
of my ass and are now fluttering about the room painting murals on my
walls with their feces.  I don't know, and I don't care, though you're
welcome to try to throw around things you may or may not understand
(most of it's over my head) about things which you certainly don't know
the specifics (closed source, sir).  It seems to be inherent to the
system regardless of kernel versions or other processes on the box, etc.

If a Windows install is better, we should determine exactly what the issue
is that keeps Linux from matching it. The first step to that objective is
to establish exactly what we're measuring.

Have fun with that.

--
Eric (the Deacon remix)