--On Saturday, October 15, 2005 7:28 PM -0400 Mike Beane
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I run the machine with no front end, but when I want one, I log in via
SSH and

./vnc

then I stop the ssh connection.

Why don't you run VNC *over* ssh. Read the ssh man page stuff on tunnels.
Essentially, you have vncserver listen only to 127.0.0.1 and you run a
tunnel for port 5900, and then connect with the vnc client to
127.0.0.1:5900 (assuming the tunnel is 5900 to 5900). Then you can leave
the vnc server running all the time, because you never expose it to the
outside world.

You can use the same trick to tunnel any TCP-based protocol, including rcon.