We released a small simple application to manage game servers last year back
into the community, simply because while we haven't used it for some years,
we used to use this pretty extensively and found it great for our needs to
keep servers up

The Source code is available http://www.mammothmedia.com.au/software.php if
you want to check it out.

From what Steve is saying and the others are saying I guess the definition
of a GSP needs some work, to my mind a GSP is one that supplies a game
service to the general public (either free or charged) and as such their
primary importance would be to provide the best service they can there.
Steve and the guys from multiplay who I've seen floating around various mail
lists do fantastic work in this regard. GSP like this are now to some extent
supplementing income by offering a variety of rental services.

GSP as it seems to be defined here by others are the gold digging
opportunistic types that rent a few servers on the cheapest bit of bandwidth
they can find, throw up a few servers for rent and start trying to cash in -
offering no or very little general play or any type of Game service to the
public, this of course is where it all starts going wrong ;-)

My concern, which I've discussed with several game publishers personally, is
what happens when the game publishers move in. Obviously they have avoided
doing so to date, simply because of the infrastructure required to do this
for a AAA title is a little overwhelming. But tools to do this are getting
better all the time, and its only a matter of time before publishers start
closing off their dedicated server binaries to the general public - and to
some extent I think the rental market is helping speed this transition up
just though sheer retard factor

Adam