From: "HoundDawg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <hlds_linux@list.valvesoftware.com>
Sent: Monday, November 14, 2005 10:45 AM
Subject: RE: [hlds_linux] motd.txt not working

First, I'm a bit surprised that this topic has gone on as long as it
has.  It's an old one too that I remember seeing years ago.  I'm sure
we'll see a page or 2 get put on ServerWiki.org soon so we don't have to
drag this out in the future again.

Secondly, I'm surprised that no GSP has come up with an idea to offer
MOTD hosting on one of their web servers.  If nothing else, as a free
added value to their server rental customers.  Many admins end up with a
server, but not everyone with a web server too.

Also, it wouldn't be hard for a GSP to establish a common map server
that their customers can point to for custom map file downloads as well.

Anyway, my 2 cents on the issue.

HoundDawg
UnitedAdmins.com Chairman

motd.txt is essentially a web page. I don't know of any regular web
servers
that artificially limit the size of served pages. (Embedded web
servers,
yes, but they don't have the kind of non-volatile memory luxury of a
box
running HLDS.) Note that the size of the file isn't necessarily
related to
the extent of the rendered page. And webmasters can be as malicious as
game
server operators. ;)