Hi,

Sunday, December 4, 2005, 11:48:07 PM, Stan Bubrouski wrote:

SB> Umm how about some details.
SB> -sb

What a bugger. That previous message of mine, about hlds v27 crashing
on FreeBSD 5.4 stable was never ment to be sent - I started
writing it, then saved it in my outbox for later, and it was my
mistake :).

Anyway this is a good moment to put some info.

We are running tens of hlds and srcds servers. Just after the latest
update of srcds our srcds servers started crashing tremendously, even like
20-30 times a day. You can imagine whining and moaning of our young
customers and our headache trying to solve all the problems and
upgrading mani admin mod in the background :).

Most of our systems are FreeBSD 5.4 stable and on several machines
there's still good old FreeBSD 4.11 stable. All the instalations have:
- SMP kernel
- linux kernel emulation version 2.4.2
  (frankly, this is the only version available for FreeBSD).

So far our installations had linux base 8 with glibc 2.3.2, which
worked just fine....till there was this update.

I have read somewhere at this list, that the cure might be upgrading
glibc up to version 2.3.5. So I prepared custom linux base port which
solved the problem of crashing srcds. There are just a few
crashes daily per srcds process, so I assume this is just normal :).

This custom linux base port is composed of:
- linux base suse 9.3_2  (without it's glibc 2.3.2)
- and fedora core 3.1 rpm's (glibc 2.3.5 i386, libstdc++ 3.4.4,
  libgcc 3.4.4)

While srcds servers where now just working fine, with this new linux
port, hlds (v27) servers started crashing like hell in the numbers
going up to 40 times per day and before this change there were only
few crashes daily.

While doing some research on our installations of hlds servers I was
blind to see that the defaults for these had the old metamod 1.17.1
and the old AMX 0.9.9.
We have switched to new metamod 1.18p26 and AMXX 1.60 and all
instalations of hlds are running smooth and clean (so far :>) along
with srcds servers.

**********
The conclusion is : if you are running FreeBSD, upgrade your linux
port to have glibc 2.3.5. At hlds installations check version of
metamod and if necessary upgrade to the latest version.
Don't upgrade to glibc 2.3.6 as we have experienced enourmously higher
cpu utilization running 2.3.6.
**********

With this configuration in mind I smacked the latest upgrade of hlds -
that is v28. My advice: don't try this at home,
it welcomes you with a beautiful crash just right at startup :{.

At the end I would like to ask one question directly to Alfred
Reynolds: Could you please tell what is the configuration of your
test environment? I would like to know the version of libraries and
kernel version.

regards,
--
Adam "Morel" Grzesko