Nothing.

Isn't it more likely the specific content server you're using is getting
hammered, and/or it's outgoing traffic is at its limit (or the network
interface's limit)?

Besides:
Updating 'Day of Defeat Source Base Content' from version 7 to version 9
Downloading: ./\dod\bin\client.dll
Downloading: ./\dod\bin\server.dll
Downloading: ./\dod\bin\server_i486.so

You will have to stop the server before you can replace the game
binaries, like Erik said before.