Hi there

> Thanks both for the detailed responses. I hate to pass up this deal, but if I
> don't have a job for the server right now, justifying the cost is difficult.

You're welcome, and that's exactly the problem many smaller players like
myself have with platforms. A server based on the dual core Opteron CPU
is in my opinion the best suited for hlds and srcds servers. You won't
be able to take advantage of the 64 bit command set for the game, but
the operating system and supporting apps will. The hl1 servers are now
threaded, I'm sure something similar is coming soon for source servers.
At any rate, both cores will get used well.

> I'm surpised that this program (SRCDS) is closed source. I'd noticed the
> previous generation of HLDS was closed source, but I figured the new "Source
> Dedicated Server" would be a very small subset of the SOURCE engine, and
> therefore open.
>
> Is SRCDS written-by/owned/controlled by valve? Curious  who controls it since
> Valve obviously "doesn't support it"...

Valve license their engine. They're a business, they need to make money.
Like it or lump it. This list is part of their support network.

> I could probably hack my own server as a CS-mod out of the source-SDK but
> thats WAY more work then i'm looking for tonight ;-)

Lol...